Wednesday, November 1, 2017

6800 Family Tree

After about two years away from electronics, I have some time for my projects now that I am almost finished with my degree. Lately, I've been thinking about a lot of things and I want to start some new calculator projects and pick up where I left off on some other projects. One thing I have been thinking about is working on a simpler 6502 based calculator than I was working on before to get more experience working with the chip. I think the 6502 graphing calculator I was working on did not turn out very well because I rushed through everything too fast trying to get ready for Makevention in 2015.

Along those lines I recently got curious about other chips I could use to make a calculator. The last time I was curious about that I compared some of the microcontrollers I was interested in to see how fast they compute. One of my plans now is to do some other comparisons, which I think will be more useful. This time I want to compare processors like the 6502 as well, so I looked at other chips that would be fun to use. One group that I have been interested in for a while is the 6800 family like the 6809 and 6309. I could not find a family tree on the internet, so I started making one myself. When I was almost done, I found this tree in a document about the 6804:

Partial family tree of 6800 series chips from Motorola
It has a lot of the information I was looking for but doesn't include some of the modern chips or the Hitachi variants like the 6309. In my tree I added all the variants I could find on Wikipedia and listed whatever information I found there and in datasheets. For the speeds, I put the fastest I could find, although there could be faster ones out there. I also put the 6502 and 65816 on there, since they are somewhat related, but not all the variants like the 65802 or the microcontroller versions. I also read on the CPU Shack website that the ST7 from ST is similar to the 68HC05, but I could not find any other information. One document from ST explains how to convert assembly from the HC05 to the ST7 and says the program structure and philosophy of the two chips are different, so I didn't add it to the chart. My next plan is to rewrite some of the BCD math routines I was working on before and try them on simulators for different processors. If one of the 6800 family chips does well, I might use it for one of my designs.


No comments:

Post a Comment