Thursday, May 30, 2013

RPN Scientific Calculator: Keypad

The next step of the hardware for my calculator is a keypad. I finished this several weeks ago but I haven't posted anything about it because I didn't have any pictures until now.


As you can see, the construction is pretty simple. My local shop had a new kind of perfboard that I wanted to try. It seems to be a little stronger than the kind I used before but still not really stiff like some of the high quality ones I have seen. It took some time to solder this together but it worked well in the end. Only one button connection had to be resoldered.

The circuit is a standard button matrix. A signal is sent through each of the green lines in turn and if any of the buttons are held down the signal will travel out of one of the yellow output lines and be recorded. Each button has a diode to ensure that the signal can only go one way. As you can see from the back side of the board, the columns are connected by solder and the rows by yellow jumpers. After I had soldered most of the columns, I realized that the two legs on each side of this kind of button are connected internally and don't have to be soldered together. The next time I make a button matrix I will leave them unsoldered so I will have room to make the rows out of solder as well. Avoiding jumper wires like I used here will make soldering simpler.

To read the matrix I am using a 74HC165 and a 74HC595 shift register. Output shift registers can easily be chained together but I also found out that an output and input shift register can be chained together as well sharing the same data, clock, and latch lines. Here I decided to use separate latches since the 165 is reading the output of the 595 but they do share data and clock lines which uses less microcontroller pins

Most of the time the shift registers will go unused since scanning the matrix only takes a fraction of a second. To save even more pins I decided to drive the LCD using the 595 shift register as well. This works out as long as communicating with the LCD and reading buttons never overlaps. I will have to take this into consideration if I decide to use an interrupt to read buttons. This also fixed a strange and unsolved issue that would occasionally cause the LCD not to receive commands when it was being driven directly by microcontroller pins.

No comments:

Post a Comment